China’s consumer industry saw a flat growth in overall deal activity during Q3 2020, when compared with the last four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 125 deals worth $3.68bn were announced in Q3 2020, compared to the last four-quarter average of 125 deals.
Venture financing was the leading category in the quarter with 82 deals which accounted for 65.6% of all deals.
In second place was M&A with 35 deals, followed by private equity with eight transactions, respectively accounting for 28% and 6.4% of overall deal activity in the country’s consumer industry during the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in China’s consumer industry with total deals worth $1.82bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $1.33bn and $527.81m, respectively.
China consumer industry deals in Q3 2020: Top deals
The top five consumer deals accounted for 47.5% of the overall value during Q3 2020.
The combined value of the top five consumer deals stood at $1.74bn, against the overall value of $3.68bn recorded for the month.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q3 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Abu Dhabi Capital Group, CICC Capital ManagementLimited, Goldman Sachs & Co, ICBC International Capital, Suzhou Changshu Government Industry Fund, Tencent Holdings and Tiger Global Management’s $495m venture financing of Beijing Missfresh E-Commerce
2) The $358.28m venture financing of Yipin Fresh by Capital Today, Eastern Bell Capital and Tencent Holdings
3) Bode Energy Equipment’s $313.53m acquisition of Mingpin Shijia Wine Chain
4) The $300m venture financing of Chongqing Jiangxiaobai Liquor by Baillie Gifford &, China Merchants Bank International Capital and China Renaissance Holdings
5) Enterprise Reform Fund, Fujian Salt Group, Nanfang Media Group, Ningbo Haoshu Investment and Yunnan Provincial Energy Investment Group’s private equity deal with Guangdong Guangyan Holdings for $278m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.