Total consumer industry M&A deals worth $18.5bn were announced in Europe in May 2022, led by Philip Morris International’s $17.33bn acquisition of Swedish Match, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 4771.5% over the previous month of $380.17m and a rise of 427.6% when compared with the last 12-month average of $3.51bn.
Europe held a 91.68% share of the global consumer industry M&A deal value that totalled $20.2bn in May 2022. With a 90.84% share and deals worth $18.35bn, Sweden was the top country in Europe’s M&A deal value across consumer industry.
In terms of M&A deal activity, Europe recorded 32 deals during May 2022, marking a decrease of 27.27% over the previous month and a drop of 37.25% over the 12-month average. Italy recorded seven deals during the month.
Europe consumer industry M&A deals in May 2022: Top deals
The top five consumer industry M&A deals accounted for 99.9% of the overall value during May 2022.
The combined value of the top five consumer deals stood at $18.49bn, against the overall value of $18.5bn recorded for the month.
The top five consumer industry M&A deals of May 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Philip Morris International $17.33bn acquisition deal with Swedish Match
2) The $1bn acquisition of Byredo by L’Oreal and Puig
3) Free2Move $105.18m acquisition deal with Share Now
4) The $37.5m acquisition of 13% stake in Associazione Sportiva Roma by The Friedkin Group
5) Spacett $24.44m acquisition deal with Tura Scandinavia