Total Consumer industry M&A deals worth $20.2bn were announced globally in May 2022, led by Philip Morris International’s $17.33bn acquisition of Swedish Match, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 558% over the previous month of $3.07bn and a rise of 122.5% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $9.08bn.
Comparing M&A deals value in different regions of the globe, Europe held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $18.52bn. At the country level, the Sweden topped the list in terms of deal value at $18.35bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for Consumer industry M&A deals globally, followed by Europe and then Asia-Pacific.
The top country in terms of M&A deals activity in May 2022 was the US with 45 deals, followed by the China with eight and Canada with seven.
In 2022, as of May, Consumer M&A deals worth $36.68bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 29% year on year.
Consumer industry M&A deals in May 2022: Top deals
The top five M&A deals accounted for 93.9% of the overall value during May 2022.
The combined value of the top five Consumer M&A deals stood at $18.97bn, against the overall value of $20.2bn recorded for the month.
The top five Consumer industry M&A deals of May 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Philip Morris International $17.33bn acquisition deal with Swedish Match
2) The $1bn acquisition of Byredo by L’Oreal and Puig
3) China Mengniu Dairy $241.25m acquisition of 20% stake in Inner Mongolia Mengniu Dairy (Group)
4) The $222m acquisition of Dippin’? Dots by J&J Snack Foods
5) China Mengniu Dairy $181.42m acquisition of 20% stake in Yashili International Holdings