Total consumer industry private equity deals worth $11.05bn were announced in Europe in Q1 2021, with Financiere Agache and L Catterton’s $4.8bn deal for majority stake with Birkenstock Orthopadie GmbHKG being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 400% over the previous quarter and a rise of 231.8% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $3.33bn.
Europe held a 31.86% share of the global consumer industry private equity deal value that totalled $34.68bn in Q1 2021. With a 13.84% share and deals worth $4.8bn, Germany was the top country in Europe’s private equity deal value across consumer industry.
In terms of deal activity, Europe recorded 62 deals during Q1 2021, marking a decrease of 8.82% over the previous quarter and a rise of 28.50% over the last four-quarter average. The UK recorded 22 deals during the month.
Europe consumer industry private equity deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five consumer industry private equity deals accounted for 97.6% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five private equity deals stood at $10.78bn, against the overall value of $11.05bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Financiere Agache and L Catterton’s $4.8bn private equity deal for majority stake with Birkenstock Orthopadie GmbHKG
2) The $4.38bn private equity deal with Philips Domestic Appliances Holding by Hillhouse Capital Group
3) The Blackstone Group’s $1.23bn private equity deal with Bourne Leisure
4) The $220.5m private equity deal for two student accommodation assets by Ares Real Estate Group and Generation Partners
5) Naxicap Partners’ $155.54m private equity deal for 62.23% stake with Eurogerm
Visit our ‘Retail Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the retail industry.