Total consumer industry venture financing deals in Q1 2020 worth $4.43bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 14.4% over the previous quarter and a drop of 25.1% when compared with the last four-quarter average, which stood at $5.91bn.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $2.42bn. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $2.4bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for consumer industry venture financing deals globally, followed by Asia-Pacific and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in Q1 2020 was the US with 191 deals, followed by China with 50 and India with 49.
In 2020, as of the end of Q1 2020, consumer venture financing deals worth $4.43bn were announced globally, marking a decrease of 17.5% year on year.
Consumer industry venture financing deals in Q1 2020: Top deals
The top five consumer industry venture financing deals accounted for 29.5% of the overall value during Q1 2020.
The combined value of the top five consumer venture financing deals stood at $1.31bn, against the overall value of $4.43bn recorded for the month.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q1 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Alexis Ohanian, Common, Horizons Ventures, Jaden Smith, Jay Brown, Jay-Z, Kal Penn, Katy Perry, Khosla Ventures, Kirk Cousins, Mindy Kaling, Mirae Asset Global Investments, Paul George, Peter Jackson, Phil Rosenthal, Questlove, Ruby Rose, Serena Williams, Temasek Holdings (Private), Trevor Noah, will.i.am and Zedd’s $500m venture financing of Impossible Foods
2) The $250m venture financing of Alto by Greenoaks Capital Management, Jackson Square Ventures, Olive Tree Capital, SoftBank Vision Fund II and Zola Global Investors
3) Green Monday, Qatar Investment Authority and Temasek Holdings (HK)’s $225m venture financing of Califia Farms
4) The $171m venture financing of Junlebao Dairy by Sequoia Capital China
5) Bill Gates, Cargill, CPT Capital, Threshold Ventures, Fifty Years Fund, Finistere Ventures, Future Ventures, Kimbal Musk, Norwest Venture Partners, Richard Branson, SoftBank Group, Temasek Holdings (Private) and Tyson Foods’ venture financing of Memphis Meats for $161m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.
Visit our ‘Retail Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the retail industry.