Total consumer industry venture financing deals in Q2 2020 worth $5.11bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 2.7% over the previous quarter and a drop of 13.2% when compared with the last four-quarter average, which stood at $5.99bn.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $2.84bn. At the country level, China topped the list in terms of deal value at $1.96bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for consumer industry venture financing deals globally, followed by Asia-Pacific and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in Q2 2020 was the US with 164 deals, followed by China with 70 and India with 43.
In 2020, as of the end of Q2 2020, consumer venture financing deals worth $10.27bn were announced globally, marking a decrease of 9% year on year.
Consumer industry venture financing deals in Q2 2020: Top deals
The top five consumer industry venture financing deals accounted for 26.1% of the overall value during Q2 2020.
The combined value of the top five consumer venture financing deals stood at $1.34bn, against the overall value of $5.11bn recorded for the month.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q2 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Broadscale Group, Ervington Investments- Cyprus, Exor International, 83North Venture Capital, Hearst Ventures, Macquarie Capital (Europe), Mori Trust, Pitango Growth, Planven Investments, RiverPark Ventures and Shell Ventures’ $400m venture financing of Via Transportation
2) The $280m venture financing of Chehaoduo Old Motor Vehicle Brokers (Beijing) by SC Auto and SVF CAR SUBCO (SINGAPORE)
3) CITIC Industrial Fund, GGV Capital, Sequoia Capital China Growth Partners Fund I and Yuan Capital’s $230m venture financing of JD MRO
4) The $225m venture financing of Maplebear by D1 Capital Partners, DST Global and General Catalyst Partners
5) Sequoia Capital Operations and SoftBank Vision Fund 1’s venture financing of Chehaoduo Old Motor Vehicle Brokers (Beijing) for $200m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.
Visit our ‘Retail Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the retail industry.