Europe’s consumer industry saw a drop of 19.39% in deal activity during May 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Philip Morris International’s $17.33bn acquisition of Swedish Match, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 79 consumer industry deals worth $18.9bn were announced for the region in May 2022, against the 12-month average of 98 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in May 2022 with 32 transactions, representing a 40.5% share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with 27 deals, followed by private equity deals with 20 transactions, respectively capturing a 34.2% and 25.3% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in Europe’s consumer industry with $18.52bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $191.78m and $146.72m, respectively.
Europe consumer industry deals in May 2022: Top deals
The top five consumer deals accounted for 99% of the overall value during May 2022.
The combined value of the top five consumer deals stood at $18.66bn, against the overall value of $18.9bn recorded for the month.
The top five consumer industry deals of May 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Philip Morris International $17.33bn acquisition deal with Swedish Match
2) The $1bn acquisition of Byredo by L’Oreal and Puig
3) Brookfield Asset Management $184.06m private equity deal with DigitalBridge Group
4) The $105.18m acquisition of Share Now by Free2Move
5) C&D Emerging Industry Equity Investment,Carbonneutral Partnership,Hansoh Investment,Kangjun Capital,Probe Capital,Puhua Capital and YuanBio Venture Capital $45m venture financing deal with Enzymaster Deutschland