Led by $4.8bn private equity deal with Birkenstock Orthopadie GmbHKG, Europe’s consumer industry saw a rise of 12.36% in deal activity during Q1 2021, when compared to the last four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 325 deals worth $13.53bn were announced for the region during Q1 2021, against the last four-quarter average of 289.25 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in Q1 2021 with 182 deals, representing a 56% share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with 81 deals, followed by private equity deals with 62 transactions, respectively capturing a 24.9% and 19.1% share of the overall deal activity for the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, private equity was the leading category in Europe’s consumer industry with $11.05bn, while M&A and venture financing deals totalled $2.12bn and $361.63m, respectively.
Europe consumer industry deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five consumer deals accounted for an 83.2% share of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $11.25bn, against the overall value of $13.53bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Financiere Agache and L Catterton’s $4.8bn private equity deal with Birkenstock Orthopadie GmbHKG
2) The $4.38bn private equity deal with Philips Domestic Appliances Holding by Hillhouse Capital Group
3) The Blackstone Group’s $1.23bn private equity deal with Bourne Leisure
4) The $440.16m acquisition deal with Nordic Leisure by GVC Holdings
5) Greystar Real Estate Partners’ asset transaction with KKRInc for $403.57m.
Visit our ‘Retail Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the retail industry.