Led by $204.16m asset transaction with ASV Group, Middle East and Africa’s consumer industry saw a rise of 8.74% in deal activity during Q1 2021, when compared to the last four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 28 deals worth $721.63m were announced for the region during Q1 2021, against the last four-quarter average of 25.75 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in Q1 2021 with 14 deals, representing a 50% share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with nine deals, followed by private equity deals with five transactions, respectively capturing a 32.1% and 17.9% share of the overall deal activity for the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in Middle East and Africa’s consumer industry with $645.83m, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $67.8m and $8m, respectively.
Middle East and Africa consumer industry deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five consumer deals accounted for an 88.6% share of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $639.43m, against the overall value of $721.63m recorded for the quarter.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Evergreen Hospitality’s $204.16m asset transaction with ASV Group
2) The $200m acquisition of Third Milling by Al Ghurair Foods and Al Rajhi Holding Group
3) Agthia Group’s $107.3m acquisition of Nabil Foods
4) The $101.22m asset transaction deal with Teva Pharmaceutical Industries by Karo Pharma
5) ADM Capital, Archer Daniels Midland, Bits x Bites, Emerald Technology Ventures, Manta Ray Ventures, Rich Products, S2G Ventures, Tyson Foods and Unternehmensgruppe Theo Muller S.e.c.s.’s venture financing with Future Meat Technologies for $26.75m.
Visit our ‘Retail Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the retail industry.