Total retail industry deals for April 2020 worth $1.26bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 92.2% over the previous month and a drop of 84.5% when compared with the last 12-month average of $8.09bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 34.3% over the last 12-month average with 90 deals against the average of 137 deals.
In value terms, Asia-Pacific led the activity with deals worth $809.64m.
Retail industry deals in April 2020: Top deals
The top five retail deals accounted for 65.1% of the overall value during April 2020.
The combined value of the top five retail deals stood at $817.58m, against the overall value of $1.26bn recorded for the month.
The top five retail industry deals of April 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Shinsegae’s $243.2m acquisition of Shinsegae DF
2) The $163.58m merger of Aeon Kyushu and Maxvalu Kyushu by
3) Generali Real Estate and PSN’s $160.8m asset transaction with
4) The $150m venture financing of Curly by Digital Sky Technologies, Hillhouse Capital Group and Sequoia Capital Operations
5) Huaxing New Economic Fund and Loyal Valley Capital’s venture financing of Beijing Bubble Mart Cultural and Creative for $100m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.