Total retail industry venture financing deals in July 2020 worth $524.32m were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 39.6% over the previous month and a drop of 30.2% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $750.87m.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $246.85m. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $227.85m.
In terms of volumes, Asia-Pacific emerged as the top region for retail industry venture financing deals globally, followed by North America and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in July 2020 was the US with eight deals, followed by India with six and China with four.
In 2020, as of the end of July 2020, retail venture financing deals worth $4.36bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 13.2% year on year.
Retail industry venture financing deals in July 2020: Top deals
The top five retail industry venture financing deals accounted for 73.05% of the overall value during July 2020.
The combined value of the top five retail venture financing deals stood at $383m, against the overall value of $524.32m recorded for the month.
The top five retail industry deals of July 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Greycroft Partners, Horsley Bridge Partners, Lerer Hippeau Ventures and Volition Capital’s $100m venture financing of Medly Pharmacy
2) The $85m venture financing of Misfits Market by Greenoaks Capital Management, Sound Ventures, Third Kind Venture Capital and Valor Equity Partners
3) CDH Investments Fund Management, CMBC International, GGV Jiyuan Capital and INCE Capital’s $80m venture financing of Shihui Group
4) The $60m venture financing of Withings by Adelie Capital, BNP Paribas Developpement, BPI France, Gilde Healthcare Partners, IDInvest Partners and Oddo BHF Asset Management
5) Jungle Ventures, Pavilion Capital and Temasek Holdings (Private)’s venture financing of PT Social Bella Indonesia for $58m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.
Visit our ‘Retail Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the retail industry.