The UK consumer industry saw a drop of 5.7% in overall deal activity during Q4 2020, when compared with the last four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 115 deals worth $15.09bn were announced in Q4 2020, compared to the last four-quarter average of 122 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the quarter with 61 deals which accounted for 53.04% of all deals.
In second place was venture financing with 35 deals, followed by private equity with 19 transactions, respectively accounting for 30.4% and 16.5% of overall deal activity in the country’s consumer industry during the quarter.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the UK consumer industry with total deals worth $10.05bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $4.47bn and $565.59m, respectively.
The UK consumer industry deals in Q4 2020: Top deals
The top five consumer deals accounted for 91.4% of the overall value during Q4 2020.
The combined value of the top five consumer deals stood at $13.79bn, against the overall value of $15.09bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five consumer industry deals of Q4 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Mohsin Issa, TDR Capital and Zuber Issa’s $8.77bn private equity deal with Asda Stores
2) The $3.69bn acquisition of William Hill by Caesars Entertainment
3) MSP Sports Capital, The Najafi Companies and UBS O’Connor’s $740.09m private equity deal with McLaren Racing
4) The $309.63m venture financing of Cazoo by BlackRock, D1 Capital Partners, DMG ventures, Durable Capital Partners, Fidelity Management & Research, General Catalyst Partners, L Catterton, Mubadala Capital, Novator Partners and The Spruce House Partnership
5) Thrasio’s acquisition of Maximo Fitness for $269.69m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.