SPAR Switzerland, a part of hypermarket chain SPAR Group, has opened a store at the railway station in Winterthur, Switzerland.

Located in the redeveloped Rudolfstrasse, the new SPAR Express store opened on 2 February.

It offers a range of food items and products for customers’ daily needs, as well as a wide range of hot and cold dishes for on-site dining or takeaway.

The store also has a daily lunch menu that includes sandwiches, salads, fruit bowls, muesli, savoury snacks and desserts.

Strategically located in a highly frequented pedestrian zone, the new SPAR Express aims to offer train passengers, passers-by and residents ‘quick and easy’ meal solutions and daily food shopping.

The small-scale supermarket also features an in-store café with around 20 seats serving drinks and food.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

In addition, there is a bicycle parking area and a car parking garage above the station.

SPAR Express Winterthur uses electronic price tags to improve in-store efficiency, as well as two self-scanning checkouts to expedite the payment process.

The store is operated by SPAR retailers and siblings Dzezair Ibraimi and Almedine Fejzaj along with a team of colleagues.

In October last year, SPAR Switzerland opened a store in the Mühletal quarter in Schaffhausen, Switzerland.

The 300m² store offers fresh food, everyday groceries, ready-to-heat and ready-to-eat convenience options.

SPAR Group South Africa bought a 60% stake in SPAR Switzerland in 2016 and acquired the remaining 40% in March 2021.

In September last year, SPAR launched a strategic review of its business in an effort to maximise value for its shareholders.

The company’s Board of Directors is considering a full range of strategic alternatives, including a sale, merger, divestiture, recapitalisation or going private.

The board will also consider other strategic transactions or whether to continue as a public, independent company.