Skip to site menu Skip to page content

China blocks cooperation with EU probe into JD.com’s Ceconomy bid

The notice covers the EU's cross-border investigation practices against JD.com under the bloc's FSR and states that no organisation or individual may implement or assist in implementing the EU's measures.

Shubhendu Vimal August 20 2026

China has ordered domestic entities not to cooperate with a EU investigation into e-commerce company JD.com, alleging that the probe constitutes “undue extraterritorial jurisdiction”.

China's Ministry of Justice, together with the Ministry of Commerce and other relevant departments, issued the notice under the country's Regulations on Anti-Undue Extraterritorial Jurisdiction by Foreign Countries.

According to the translated version of the notice, it covers the EU's cross-border investigation practices against JD.com conducted under the bloc's Foreign Subsidies Regulation (FSR), stating that no organisation or individual may implement or provide assistance in implementing the EU's measures.

The EU investigation concerns JD.com's $2.5bn bid for German electronics retailer Ceconomy.

The European Commission (EC) opened an "in-depth" probe in May 2026 under the FSR, citing a preliminary assessment that flagged possible subsidies to JD.com, including preferential financing, tax incentives and grants, from entities that may be attributable to China.

The EC has said these measures may have allowed JD.com to offer terms that affected the takeover negotiations.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: "Recently, the EU used its Foreign Subsidies Regulation to investigate JD.com, arbitrarily demanding extensive and unnecessary information about China from the Chinese entity.

“We hope the EU will immediately correct its erroneous practices, cease abusing the 'foreign subsidies' investigation tool, and create a fair, just, and predictable market environment for companies investing and operating in the EU. If the EU persists in its unilateral actions, China will resolutely retaliate in accordance with the law.”

Late last month, the EC sent a Statement of Grounds to JD.com, formally setting out its objections in writing and marking a further stage in the in-depth probe.

The EC has set 2 October 2026 as the provisional deadline for completing its assessment.

The takeover process began in July 2025, when Ceconomy entered discussions with JD.com over a potential voluntary public offer.

The move follows a similar order issued by China in May 2026 against an EU investigation into Chinese security firm Nuctech, also conducted under the FSR.

In that case, the Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Commerce likewise determined that the EU's cross-border investigation practices constituted undue extraterritorial jurisdiction and barred entities from cooperating with the probe.

Uncover your next opportunity with expert reports

Steer your business strategy with key data and insights from our latest market research reports and company profiles. Not ready to buy? Start small by downloading a sample report first.

Newsletters by sectors

close

Sign up to the newsletter: In Brief

Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Thank you for subscribing

View all newsletters from across the GlobalData Media network.

close