In a joint press release, Amazon and Anthropic have revealed their strategic collaboration aimed at advancing the development of Anthropic’s future foundation models and making them accessible to Amazon Web Services (AWS) customers.
The collaboration leverages the strengths of both companies in the field of generative artificial intelligence (AI) and focuses on safety research, AI model development and more. Here are the key details:
Expanding the collaboration
Under this collaboration:
- Anthropic adopts AWS technology: Anthropic will utilise AWS Trainium and Inferentia chips for building, training and deploying its future foundation models.
This move allows Anthropic to benefit from the pricing, performance, scalability and security features offered by AWS.
- AWS as the primary cloud provider: AWS will become Anthropic’s primary cloud provider for mission-critical tasks, including safety research and future foundation model development.
Anthropic intends to run the majority of its workloads on AWS, further integrating its AI systems with AWS cloud technology.
- Access to foundation models through Amazon Bedrock: Anthropic commits to providing AWS customers worldwide with access to future generations of its foundation models through Amazon Bedrock, AWS’s fully managed service for secure access to top foundation models.
Additionally, Anthropic will offer early access to unique customisation and fine-tuning features for these models.
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
Amazon’s investment and developer access
As part of this collaboration, Amazon plans to invest up to $4bn in Anthropic, gaining a minority ownership position in the company.
Amazon’s developers and engineers will also have the opportunity to build with Anthropic models through Amazon Bedrock, enabling the incorporation of generative AI capabilities into various applications across Amazon’s businesses.
Quotes from key figures
- Amazon CEO Andy Jassy expressed the company’s respect for Anthropic’s team and foundation models, highlighting the potential to enhance customer experiences through deeper collaboration.
- Anthropic co-founder and CEO Dario Amodei emphasised the use of AWS’s Trainium chips to develop future foundation models and the significant adoption of Amazon Bedrock by AWS customers.
Anthropic’s success and foundation models
Anthropic, an AWS customer since 2021, has rapidly become a leading foundation model provider known for its commitment to responsible AI deployment.
Their foundation model, Claude, excels in a variety of tasks across industries, maintaining a high level of reliability and predictability. Claude 2, their latest model, has demonstrated exceptional performance in reading, writing and quantitative reasoning.
AWS’s expanding generative AI offering
Today’s collaboration is part of AWS’s continued expansion in the generative AI field. AWS offers a comprehensive generative AI stack, including compute instances, custom silicon chips, foundation models and generative AI applications and services.
Support for customers
AWS and Anthropic are dedicating significant resources to help customers use Claude and Claude 2 on Amazon Bedrock, facilitating the development of generative AI-powered applications.
Customer success stories
Several enterprises, including Lonely Planet, Bridgewater Associates and LexisNexis Legal & Professional, have already harnessed Anthropic’s models via Amazon Bedrock for tasks such as travel planning, investment analysis and legal drafting, achieving significant cost reductions and productivity improvements.
Commitment to responsible AI
Both Amazon and Anthropic are actively engaged in various organisations and initiatives focused on responsible AI development and deployment.
This includes participation in OECD AI working groups, GPAI, Partnership on AI, ISO, NIST and the Responsible AI Institute, as well as supporting voluntary commitments for AI technology development.
This collaboration between Amazon and Anthropic marks a significant step in advancing generative AI technology while prioritising safety and responsibility in its development and deployment.